Our firm has historically been a privileged partner of the financial sector, our lawyers cover all aspects of a regulated activity and financial transactions.
Our lawyers use their experience and creativity to serve their clients: credit institutions, insurance companies and other financial institutions, non-financial companies and groups and sovereign states, in banking and finance law.
Our global offer is structured around 2 main sectors :
- Financing and financial engineering
- Banking and financial regulation
It also handles specialized litigation related to these activities.
Our geographical scope of intervention is global. We assist our clients in more than 145 foreign jurisdictions with the support of partner firms and are experienced in cross-border transactions.
We cover a broad spectrum of transactions, both international and domestic, for clients made up of lenders, issuers, credit insurers, brokers, fintechs, underwriters and borrowers. The practice of our teams combines the mastery of international financial market standards and financial engineering with a « tailor-made » culture adapted to the requirements of our clients and to the complexity of the financial transactions they entrust to us.
Our lawyers have extensive expertise in a wide range of financing transactions :
- Bilateral or syndicated structured finance (asset-backed and securitization) ;
- Acquisition financing, with or without leverage ;
- Corporate finance, equity financing, bond issues ;
- Asset-based financing, equity financing, leasing ;
- Fund financing ;
- Project finance and public-private partnerships in the fields of energy, transportation and telecommunications ;
- Trade and export credit financing ;
- Real estate financing.
For the purpose of these transactions, we assist our clients in the structuring and negotiation of temsheets, step plans, the setting up of conventional or fiduciary security documents, inter-creditor agreements and risk coverage documents. We provide legal opinions on validity and capacity and binding force in accordance with the requirements of article 84 CRR.
Our banking-finance team frequently advises on international financial transactions, involving parties, assets financed or pledged and legal documentation from several countries and legal systems. It is familiar with the technical constraints and legal security issues specific to these transactions as well as the expectations of clients used to other legal systems. It works on these transactions with our foreign partners or the advisors engaged abroad by our clients and counterparties.
Our finance team also benefits from the support of the firm's specialized teams in public business law, corporate, energy, mining and infrastructure, tax, capital markets and distressed companies.
Our lawyers are involved in the implementation of financial transactions or structures that are often complex and require expertise in specialized regulations, including :
- Derivative instruments : negotiation of contracts to hedge credit, interest rate and other risks, etc. (framework agreements, special conditions), reporting obligations, legal opinions ;
- Effect of benchmark changes on loan, issue and derivative contracts ;
- Financing transactions involving securities and financial contracts falling within the scope of the Collateral Directive: documentation, legal advice on close-out netting ;
- Management trusts : e.g. collateral management, fronting structures and asset safeguards ;
- Refinancing and restructuring of financial debt, transfers of NPL portfolios ;
- Cash management (direct, indirect or notional centralization, including multi-currency and in a regulated environment, central payment, POBO) ;
- Hive-down in the framework of SPVs or trusts ;
- Credit disintermediation ;
- CLOs, CDOs, credit risk transfer ;
- Assignment of claims platforms, crypto-currencies, deposit raising, collaborative platforms between credit institutions and fintechs.
BANKING AND FINANCIAL REGULATION
- Advice and assistance to our clients in their dealings with their supervisory authorities (ECB, ACPR (French prudential control and resolution authority), AMF, CSSF (French financial sector supervisory commission), FCA, Siccfin, BaFin, SEC, MAS, etc.) in terms of authorization, evolution and restructuring of organizations, evolution of the various prudential standards and ratios and governance ;
- Advising and assisting our clients on matters of internal control, risk management, compliance, anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing, and the regulations that apply to our professional clients, both in France and abroad, particularly with regard to the extraterritoriality of American laws and regulations (SEC, OFAC, DoJ, etc.) ;
- Drafting/adaptation of documentation intended for our clients and their managers/employees in accordance with the ongoing changes in applicable regulations ;
- Assisting our clients in the drafting and negotiation of contracts with their usual service providers to ensure that all rights and obligations of the parties are precisely defined and understood, in accordance with applicable regulations ;
- Assisting and advising our clients in the structuring and distribution of banking, insurance or financial instrument products for institutional or non-professional investors, covering client prospecting, product marketing, specialized credit, payment instruments, online banking and financial services, and UCITS and FIAs.
CONTROL AND INVESTIGATION DUTIES
As part of its pre-litigation and regulatory litigation activity, our team assists its clients in connection with control and investigation duties carried out by the AMF (French financial markets regulator and listed issuers and portfolio management companies), the ACPR (French prudential control and resolution authority), and even the ECB (financial companies, banks, investment service providers, payment service providers, financial companies and insurance companies/mutual insurance companies, etc.), as well as in the follow-up of the consequences of these duties by the regulator.
With regard to these control and investigation tasks, we provide our assistance in the following areas :
- coordination of the institution’s responses to the requests/questions of the inspectors/controllers ;
- analysis and transmission of documents and electronic messages requested or sealed by the investigators ;
- preparation of the persons to be interviewed by the investigators ;
- drafting of responses to detailed letters by the AMF investigators ;
- preparation and drafting of responses to pre-reports or inspection reports drafted by the AMF or ACPR inspectors.
Depending on the decision made by the regulator following the review of the control or investigation report and the institution’s responses, we assist our clients :
- in the response and implementation of the remedial measures requested by their respective supervisors following a control (follow-up letter or formal notice procedure) ;
- and finally, in the context of proceedings initiated before the Commission des sanctions (French Sanctions authority) AMF or ACPR Sanctions Commission (response to complaints, response to the rapporteur's comments and to the position of the Board's representative, assistance at hearings before the rapporteur and at hearings before the AMF and ACPR Sanctions Commission).
JUDICIAL LITIGATION /ARBITRATION
As part of its pre-litigation and litigation activities in civil and commercial matters, before the state courts as plaintiffs and defendants.
- Action for payment, realization of securities, protective measures, qualification of financial transactions ;
- Wrongful termination of negotiations, non-compliance with the clauses of the distribution or intermediation agreement, failure to perform or delay in performing the service ;
- Liability action against the lender or provider of investment or payment services or digital asset services (breach of information or warning obligations, liability action for breach of obligations of loyalty, transparency, prevention of conflicts of interest, etc.) and suppliers (liability action for breach of confidentiality rules, personal data protection, etc.) ;
- Approval of debt restructuring agreements.
Before specialized arbitration courts (derivatives, international trading) or general arbitration courts (project financing, digital assets, liability of the State for breach of its investment or supervision obligations).
Before foreign jurisdictions : affidavits on points of French law raised in proceedings before foreign courts.
Finally, we handle the criminal aspects of cases, mainly in the following areas :
- market abuse ;
- money laundering, financing of terrorism, ill-gotten gains ;
- fraud, breach of trust, fraud ;
- international financial sanctions, corruption ;
- practice of a regulated activity without approval.
In all these areas, we implement a rigorous methodology in the evaluation of evidence, the examination of arguments, the cost/benefit analysis of the measures taken as well as the practical execution of court decisions.
Jeantet advises Orsana in connection with its financing
Paris, April 20, 2023 – Jeantet has advised Orsana, a holding company with several subsidiaries, including Eco Delta, independent producers of renewable energy, in connection with a global financing transaction. The global financing transaction relates to a revolving credit facility, under the terms of an agreement entered into on April 6, 2023 between Orsana, as […]
Paris | BANK-FINANCE-REGULATORY | FINANCING
On the ingratitude of the financial journalist’s job (continued) – Finascope, 18/04/2023
Legal column by our partner Frank Martin Laprade. Plus de dix ans après les faits, la Cour d’appel de Paris vient de rendre une décision dont il est bien difficile de dire si elle est favorable – ou non – aux journalistes financiers, dont la marge de manœuvre avait été sérieusement restreinte par la commission […]
Paris | BANKING AND FINANCIAL REGULATION
Jeantet advised Tikheau Investment Management in refinancing the acquisition of Visco and the entry of minority investors in Visco’s capital
Paris, March 3, 2023, following the acquisition of Visco by Tikehau Investment Management in July 2022, Jeantet has assisted Tikehau Investment Management, the private equity business of Tikehau Capital, in the entry, as minority investors, of investment vehicles represented by Crédit Agricole Régions Investissement (Carvest) in the capital of Visco, a recognized operator in high-precision […]
Paris | CORPORATE – M&A – PRIVATE EQUITY | BANK-FINANCE-REGULATORY | TAX
The crowdfunding remains in search of a European harmonization – L’Agefi, 20/02/2023, Quote from Philippe Portier
Réunis à Paris pour une journée d’échanges, les représentants du financement participatif européen ont souligné à la fois les difficultés et le grand intérêt du nouveau cadre règlementaire. Philippe Portier, associé, revient sur la procédure d’agrément pour les acteurs du crowdfunding dans cet article d’Alexandra Oubrier.
| FINANCIAL ENGINEERING | BANK-FINANCE-REGULATORY
The CJEU puts an end to public access to the register of beneficial owners opened by the 5th Anti-Money Laundering Directive – Bulletin Joly Bourse – n°01, 01/01/2023
Décryptage de Martine Samuelian, associée, Didier Poracchia, consultant et Hugues Vaysset, collaborateur de la décision CJUE du 22 novembre 2022 qui a invalidé les modifications apportées par la 5e directive anti-blanchiment ouvrant l’accès du registre des bénéficiaires effectifs au grand public.
Paris | BANK-FINANCE-REGULATORY
Home visits: will the ECHR confirm the judicial validation of the police methods used by the AMF? – Finascope, 07/02/2023
Dans cette chronique juridique, Frank Martin Laprade, associé, enseignant chercheur associé à l’Université Paris Sud (XI) met en perspective l’arrêt de la cour de cassation du 16 décembre 2022.
Paris | BANK-FINANCE-REGULATORY
Jeantet advises a banking pool arranged by the Caisses d’Epargne et de Prévoyance of Midi-Pyrénées and Loire-Centre in connection with the financing of a new wind farm
Paris, January 20, 2023 – Jeantet acted as counsel to the banking pool comprising Caisse d’Epargne et de Prévoyance de Midi-Pyrénées, Caisse d’Epargne et de Prévoyance Loire-Centre, as Arrangers, Caisse d’Epargne et de Prévoyance de Midi-Pyrénées, Caisse d’Epargne et de Prévoyance Loire-Centre and Caisse d’Epargne et de Prévoyance du Languedoc Roussillon as Initial Lenders, Caisse […]
| BANK-FINANCE-REGULATORY | RENEWABLE ENERGY – RE
Despite its perverse effects, the possibility of compensating cyber-criminals is about to be confirmed – Usine Nouvelle, 18/01/2023, Quote from Pierre Linais
Objet d’un recours devant le Conseil constitutionnel, la loi d’orientation et de programmation du ministère de l’Intérieur devrait confirmer la possibilité pour un assureur d’indemniser une entreprise ayant payé une cyber-rançon. Axa pourrait envisager de commercialiser à nouveau une option de couverture de ce risque.
Paris | BANK-FINANCE-REGULATORY
The captive soon released – Option finance, 09/01/2023
Le 29 décembre 2022, le Conseil constitutionnel a rejeté le recours introduit par certains députés à l’encontre de l’article 6 du projet de loi de finances 2023 qui avait été définitivement adopté par le Parlement. Ce dispositif introduit un nouveau régime fiscal de faveur destiné à encourager les entreprises à recourir aux captives de réassurance sur le […]
Paris | LITIGATION – ARBITRATION – MEDIATION – CRIMINAL LAW | BANK-FINANCE-REGULATORY
LOPMI: A welcome clarification on the legality of the insurability of cyber-breaches – Semaine juridique Générale, 09/01/2023
Le 7 septembre 2022, le Gouvernement a engagé la procédure accélérée pour l’adoption du projet de loi d’orientation et de programmation du ministère de l’Intérieur (LOPMI) intégrant un volet sur la cybersécurité à son article 4, le texte, qui a définitivement été voté le 14 décembre 2022, apporte un éclairage très attendu sur la réponse […]
Paris | BANK-FINANCE-REGULATORY | LITIGATION – ARBITRATION – MEDIATION – CRIMINAL LAW
Jeantet continues its growth dynamic
Paris, Monday, November 24, 2022, Jeantet is recruiting a team recognized for its energy transition and sustainable development activities and strengthens its public law, banking and M&A departments with the hiring of three new partners and their teams: Hélène Gelas, Alexae Fournier-de Faÿ and Philippe Raybaud. These hirings reflect the firm’s constantly growing momentum and […]
Paris | ENVIRONMENT | URBAN PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT LAW | PUBLIC LAW – PUBLIC CONTRACTS | RENEWABLE ENERGY – RE | FINANCING | FINANCIAL ENGINEERING | REAL ESTATE TRANSACTIONS | FINANCING | MERGERS & ACQUISITIONS | PRIVATE EQUITY | ENERGY TRANSITION AND CLIMATE CHANGE
PSD2: the new contours of the concepts of “limit network of acceptors” and “limit range of goods and services – Option finance, 10/31/2022
On July 20, 2022, the ACPR declared itself partially compliant with the European Banking Authority (EBA) Guidelines on the exclusion of “limited networks” under PSD2 published on February 24, 2022 (EBA/GL/2022/02). What about in practice? Read the legal analysis and the answers of Delphine Baudouin, Counsel in Jeantet’s Banking and Finance Department, for Option Finance, […]
Paris | BANK-FINANCE-REGULATORY