Martine Samuelian specializes in banking, investment and payment services as well as in insurance regulation.
She also advises clients on banking and financial litigation (civil and criminal courts or independent administrative authorities such as the AMF and ACPR Sanctions Commissions, the ECB).
This regulatory specialist leads a strong team dedicated to compliance, anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism financing, prudential requirements, governance and blockchain issues, and has been assisting banks, investment firms, portfolio management companies, insurance companies, payment service providers and French and international fintechs, as well as their managers, with applicable regulations for over 30 years. Her clients recognize her technical expertise in financial matters and her knowledge of the markets, stakeholders, products and regulators, which has made her a key contact for the general, legal and compliance departments of these institutions.
She also provides her expertise to the firm’s other clients, particularly in the areas of governance, risk management, compliance and anti-corruption.
Lawyer since : 1984
Bar. : Paris
Language(s) : French - English
- Master’s Degree in Private Law – University of Aix-Marseille
- Certificate in specialised studies in Economic Law.
Member of :
- Association Nationale des Juristes de Banque – National Association of Banking Lawyers (ANJB)
- Involvement in seminars organised by LexisNexis, by the supervisory authorities (AMF, ACPR)
- Conferences for the Postgraduate Degree (Master 2) in Financial Criminal Law at Cergy Pontoise.
- Control of foreign investments in France: continuity, but a delicate balance between sovereignty and attractiveness – Le Monde du droit, 10/05/2023
- Recent case law of the Court of Cassation concerning a “Distress M&A” transaction: good news for the transferring shareholders, but vigilance is still required! – Le Monde du droit, 12/04/2023
- The CJEU puts an end to public access to the register of beneficial owners opened by the 5th Anti-Money Laundering Directive – Bulletin Joly Bourse – n°01, 01/01/2023
- Elliott case: a final lap for obstruction – Bulletin Joly Bourse, 07/01/2022
- AMF et ACPR : analyse comparative des procédures de contrôle et de sanction – Bulletin Joly Bourse, 01/01/2022
- LCB-FT : vers la création d’une autorité de supervision européenne ad hoc – Bulletin Joly Bourse, 01/09/2021
- AMF Position DOC-2021-04 on compliance function requirements: a long-awaited clarification since the entry into force of MiFID II – Bulletin Joly Bourse, July 2021
- Flash German Desk – January 2021
- Coup de projecteur sur le manquement d’entrave retenu par la commission des sanctions de l’AMF dans le dossier des fonds Elliott, Bulletin Joly Bourse 2020
- Legal 500 France : Banking & Finance
- Citation de Karl Hepp de Sevelinges et Ruben Koslar, conseils de Daimler AG
- Banking & Finance Comparative Guide, Chapter France
- Décisions de la Commission des sanctions de l’AMF à l’encontre des sociétés SGAM et SGAM AI, avec la collaboration d’Alice Noizet, Option Finance, n°1153-1154, 19/12/2011
- Les enseignements de l’arrêt Maurel et Prom, Note sous Cour de cassation (com.), 27 avril 2011, F-D, n°10-12125, Bulletin Joly Bourse, n°9, septembre 2011, en collaboration avec Guillaume Berruyer
- Où sont les risques ?, Bulletin Joly Bourse, n°7-8, juillet-Août 2011
- Ventes à découvert, l’AMF lève l’interdiction, Option finance, n°1112, 14 février 2011
- 3ème Colloque de la Commission des Sanctions de l’AMF : Table ronde consacrée aux manquements d’initiés (2010)
- L’AMF se lance dans les « achats mystère », Revue de Droit Bancaire et de la Bourse N°3 (2010)
- Ordonnance n°2010-76 du 21 janvier 2010, pour une autorité de contrôle unique et efficace, Revue Banque, N°723 (2010 )
- Loi de régulation bancaire et financière : les nouveaux pouvoirs de l’AMF pour lutter contre le risque systémique et encadrer la spéculation, Option Finance N°1099 du 8 novembre 2010
- Note sur l‘Autorité de Contrôle Prudentiel, Option Finance, 1er mars 2010, avec Dominique Léger
- Lutte contre le blanchiment de capitaux : impact de l’ordonnance du 30 janvier 2009, Décideurs : Stratégie, Finance, Droit, n° 103 (2009)
- Abus de marché / Manipulation de Cours, Décideurs : Stratégie, Finance, Droit, n°95 (2008)
- Le Manquement d’Initié, Décideurs : Stratégie, Finance, Droit, n°92 (2008)
- La fonction de contrôle de la conformité, Décideurs : Stratégie, Finance, Droit, n° 87 (2007)
- Lutte antiblanchiment : la connaissance du client et l’arrière plan économique, Décideurs : Stratégie, Finance, Droit, N°79 (2006)
- Structuring of the BPI France (Banque Publique d’Investissement – Public Investment Bank) on behalf of the Caisse des Dépôts et Consignations (CDC).
- Regularly assisting various financial, banking and insurance institutions regarding their governance, compliance and risk management procedures.
- Providing assistance in ensuring the compliance of new financial products at the time of their creation or structuring, and involvement in the drafting of their documentation.
- Review and updating of anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing measures or the detection of market abuse or anti-corruption on behalf of various French and foreign banking and financial groups.
- Assistance in the implementation of new regulations (AML Directive, loi Sapin 2 …).
Investigations and litigation proceedings:
- Several cases of administrative settlement negotiation with the AMF.
- Defending various institutions before the AMF Enforcement Committee.
- Providing assistance in connection with AMF investigations regarding market abuse with detailed letters responses.
- Assisting French banks with respect to the application of various US regulations.
- Many responses to formal notices or follow-up letters from the Prudential Control and Resolution Authority [ACPR] with the follow up of remedial action plans.
- Defending various institutions before the ACPR Enforcement Committee and review procedures.
- Assisting banks in connection with a notification of complaint issued by SICCFIN (authority dedicated to anti-money laundering and the fight against terrorism and corruption in Monaco).
- Litigation relating to the collapse of Icelandic banks, the collapse of Lehman Brothers, the Madoff fraud, etc.
Control of foreign investments in France: continuity, but a delicate balance between sovereignty and attractiveness – Le Monde du droit, 10/05/2023
Karl Hepp de Sevelinges, partner, and Ruben Koslar, counsel, decipher for Le Monde du Droit the 2023 annual report on the control of foreign investments in France (IEF).
Paris | CORPORATE – M&A – PRIVATE EQUITY
Recent case law of the Court of Cassation concerning a “Distress M&A” transaction: good news for the transferring shareholders, but vigilance is still required! – Le Monde du droit, 12/04/2023
À propos de l’arrêt de la Cour de cassation, 1er mars 2023, n° 21-14.787 par Karl Hepp de Sevelinges, Laïd Estelle Laurent et Ruben Koslar.
| M&A AND CORPORATE LAW | INSOLVENCY PROCEEDINGS
Jeantet advises Sartorius on acquisition of Polyplus for approximately 2.4 B euros
Paris, April 3, 2023, Jeantet has advised the life science group Sartorius AG (“Sartorius”), on its signing on 31 March 2023 of an agreement to acquire France-based Polyplus for approximately 2.4 billion euros from private investors including ARCHIMED and WP GG Holdings IV B.V., an affiliate of Warburg Pincus. Polyplus, with around 270 employees, develops […]
| CORPORATE – M&A – PRIVATE EQUITY
Jeantet advises Otium Capital in connection with the acquisition of Atraltech
Paris, March 10, 2023, Jeantet has advised Otium Capital, an evergreen investment company managing the assets of Pierre-Edouard Stérin, founder of Smartbox, in connection with the acquisition of Atraltech, the security division of Hager Group, the European specialist in professional security solutions. Atraltech, the French specialist and leader in alarm systems, is becoming once again […]
Paris | CORPORATE – M&A – PRIVATE EQUITY
Jeantet advises Sabena technics in connection with the acquisition of part of the activities of Akkodis (ex-Akka technologies)
Paris, February 16, 2023, Jeantet has advised the Sabena technics group, one of the European leaders in the field of aircraft maintenance and modifications, on the acquisition of part of the activities operated by Akkodis (ex – AKKA Technologies), an engineering company. The Sabena technics group, taken over in 2019 by the Sagard and Towerbrook […]
Paris | CORPORATE – M&A – PRIVATE EQUITY
The CJEU puts an end to public access to the register of beneficial owners opened by the 5th Anti-Money Laundering Directive – Bulletin Joly Bourse – n°01, 01/01/2023
Décryptage de Martine Samuelian, associée, Didier Poracchia, consultant et Hugues Vaysset, collaborateur de la décision CJUE du 22 novembre 2022 qui a invalidé les modifications apportées par la 5e directive anti-blanchiment ouvrant l’accès du registre des bénéficiaires effectifs au grand public.
Paris | BANK-FINANCE-REGULATORY
Jeantet advises Omnes in connection with the fundraising of Redman
Paris, January 24, 2023 – Jeantet has advised Omnes, a leading private equity and facility specialist and ESG player, in the acquisition of a minority interest in the Redman Group, founded in 2007 by Matthias Navarro and Nicolas Ponson, in connection with the raising of more than €30 million in equity and debt. Through CEP2, […]
Paris | CORPORATE – M&A – PRIVATE EQUITY | TAX | EMPLOYMENT | REAL ESTATE
Environmental, social, societal and governance factors strongly influence investments – ITW de Cyril Deniaud, Martine Samuelian, Jean-François Adelle et Christophe Jacomin – Décideurs, 11/03/2022
In an unstable geopolitical context, the emergence of new challenges (ecological, technological…), the banking and financial system must provide immediate and sustainable solutions in order to guarantee an economic stability conducive to dynamic investments. Cyril Deniaud, Christophe Jacomin, Jean-François Adelle and Martine Samuelian, partners at Jeantet, analyse the issues to be taken into account to […]
Jeantet advises Jin in its merger with Opinion Act
Paris, on October 26, 2022, Jeantet advised Jin in the acquisition of a majority stake in Opinion Act. Jin, a communication consulting agency specialising in digital influence, has joined forces with Opinion Act, an expert in community analysis and digital strategy consulting. “This operation responds to the expectations of clients to combine insight analysis with […]
Paris | CORPORATE – M&A – PRIVATE EQUITY
Best Lawyers in France : Rankings 2023
The firm is pleased to have 20 of its lawyers ranked, including 1 new entry in the following categories : Jean-François Adelle Banking and Finance Law Bertrand Biette Insolvency and Reorganization Law Jacques-Henry de Bourmont Tax Law Thierry Brun Corporate Law Mergers and Acquisitions Law Yvon Dréano Corporate Law Mergers and Acquisitions Law Karl Hepp […]
Paris | BANK-FINANCE-REGULATORY | LITIGATION – ARBITRATION – MEDIATION – CRIMINAL LAW | COMPETITION AND ECONOMIC LAW | CORPORATE – M&A – PRIVATE EQUITY | ENERGY AND NATURAL RESOURCES LAW | TAX | REAL ESTATE | MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS | CAPITAL MARKETS AND STOCK EXCHANGE LAW | IP, TECH & DATA | PUBLIC LAW – PUBLIC CONTRACTS | RESTRUCTURING – LAW OF COMPANIES IN DIFFICULTY
Jeantet advises ØRSTED on the acquisition of german wind turbine developer and operator OSTWIND
Paris, July 25, 2022, Jeantet has advised the Danish group Ørsted on the acquisition of the French business and portfolio of the German group Ostwind, developer, owner and operator of wind and photovoltaic farms, for an enterprise value of €689 million. With the acquisition of Ostwind, Ørsted enters the German and French markets and expands […]
Paris | CORPORATE – M&A – PRIVATE EQUITY | ENERGY | REAL ESTATE | FINANCING | BANK-FINANCE-REGULATORY
Elliott case: a final lap for obstruction – Bulletin Joly Bourse, 07/01/2022
Martine Samuelian, Partner, and Olivier Lyon Lynch, Counsel, analyze the Court of Appeal’s decision for Bulletin Joly Bourse.
Paris | BANKING AND FINANCIAL REGULATION