IP, TECH & DATA
Your complex digital projects require a perfect command of legal issues, but also an excellent understanding of the technical and economic challenges.
Intellectual property (“IP”), technologies, especially digital technologies (“Tech”) and data (“Data”) permeate all areas of economic activity. The protection and enhancement of intangible assets are increasingly at the heart of your company’s strategy.
These issues are transforming organizations, and are both deeply connected and structuring for the development of all economic players.
Our lawyers have extensive experience in technology transactions (mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, partnerships), digital transformation projects (major IT projects, e-commerce, data) and strategic litigation related to intellectual property (patents, trademarks, copyrights), information technology or data.
They also assist you in the implementation of your personal data compliance (GDPR audit and external DPO) and cybersecurity.
«Jeantet is one of the Top 3 IP/IT teams in France, by overall value of transactions advised in 2021» (PBV Directory)
Our transactional Tech practice is unique in France in terms of the diversity of its clients and the value and volume of transactions advised on.
For many years, we have represented listed (CAC 40, DAX, Nasdaq) and unlisted companies, investment funds, as well as growth-stage companies in the semiconductor, software, telecom, quantum computing, internet, pharmaceutical and biotech sectors.
This is why we have a comprehensive understanding of strategic transactions where technology assets and intellectual property rights are central to the value proposition.
Our team works closely with Jeantet’s Corporate/M&A department on the technology and IP aspects of complex transactions and helps you negotiate mergers, acquisitions (share deal or asset deal), joint ventures and strategic alliances.
Our teams are particularly well trained in the specificities of complex digital environments: if you are a digital solution provider (software editors, IaaS, PaaS, SaaS service providers, etc.) or a corporate client, we secure your technological projects and protect and enhance your intellectual property rights. We also cover all the issues raised by the digital transformation of the economy (electronic signature, artificial intelligence, etc.) as well as by Web 1.0 (e-commerce, digital media, online advertising), Web 2.0 (social networks) or Web 3.0 (internet of things, big data, etc.).
- Contracts, large IT projects, IT infrastructures, cloud :
- Negotiation and drafting of IT contracts, from the simplest to the most complex (development, maintenance, integration, ERP, migration, outsourcing, distribution, etc.) ;
- Cloud computing (Iaas, Paas, SaaS) ;
- License compliance audits (open source or proprietary).
- Digital media :
- Online advertising, programmatic advertising ;
- Social networks, video games, online gaming and betting ;
- Audiovisual, music, online press: broadcasting, streaming, P2P ;
- Online press offences (insult, defamation, etc.).
- Internet and e-commerce law :
- E-commerce / Internet technical intermediaries ;
- Blockchain ;
- Electronic signature ;
- Internet of things / Big data.
DATA COMPLIANCE & CYBERSECURITY
Our lawyers have significant experience in data privacy and cybersecurity issues. We take a practical approach by advising you not only on the legal aspects, but also by taking into account your environment (context and size of each company). We can help you implement international strategies and achieve your goals while advising you on the local specificities that still complicate the global data protection landscape today. Our experience curve is steadily increasing thanks to the numerous external DPO duties we have been entrusted with by international companies since 2018.
Our lawyers are involved in :
- The implementation of national and international compliance projects (GDPR, Sapin II law) ;
- Data mapping and the creation of the data processing register ;
- Relations with subcontractors ;
- Drafting of compliance clauses for contracts entered into with third parties ;
- Drafting and reviewing privacy policies ;
- Assistance in the context of CNIL controls ;
- Notification of security breaches and their follow-up to the competent control authority ;
- Reviewing and adapting online user paths ;
- Supervision of personal data transfers outside the EU (standard contractual clauses, binding corporate rules, etc.).
To support our clients as closely as possible to their needs, we have developed two specific offers :
- Audit & compliance: "GDPR 3D" ;
- Exclusive offer of compliance with the GDPR in a transverse way, in all three dimensions: legal, technological and organizational ;
- Compliance monitoring: “Easy DPO”.
IP, TECH & DATA LITIGATION
Our lawyers have a solid reputation, built up over more than 20 years of strategic litigation on behalf of their clients across the IP, Tech & Data spectrum. Our team has extensive experience in the following areas :
- IT litigation (poor execution of major projects, non-conforming deliveries: data centers, ERP, HRIS, etc.), including all related expertise procedures ;
- litigation related to e-commerce (online distribution, online contract and consumer law) ;
- criminal litigation related to cybersecurity (digital identity theft, security breaches, personal data law, payment system breaches, etc.) ;
- litigation relating to personal data before the CNIL ;
- litigation involving IP and digital law (sponsored links, meta-tags, screen-scrapping, peer-to-peer, remuneration for private copy, online distribution, databases, software, domain names, etc.) ;
- "classic" intellectual property litigation. We act both in "soft IP" (trademark law, literary and artistic property, designs) and in patent law, particularly in multi-jurisdictional actions ;
- trademark and domain name litigation, both in and out of court. In this respect, Frédéric Sardain has been a panelist at the Arbitration Center for Internet Disputes (Czech Arbitration Court) since 20006 and has rendered numerous awards in European domain name matters.
Can we attribute copyright to an artificial intelligence? – L’Usine Nouvelle, 09/02/2023 – Quote from Frédéric Sardain
DALL-E, Midjourney, Stable Diffusion… Plusieurs générateurs d’images à partir de texte ont vu le jour ces derniers mois. Mais à qui sont rattachés les droits d’auteur des images générées? Au système d’intelligence artificielle, aux images sur lesquelles il s’appuie ou à la personne ayant généré l’image en tapant le texte? Décryptage de notre associé Frédéric […]
Paris | IP, TECH & DATA
Freedom of expression, moderation… EU puts Twitter to the wall – Le Point, 08/12/2022 – Quote from Frédéric Sardain
Le nouveau règlement européen sur les services numériques (DSA) oblige la plateforme à rectifier le tir. À quels défis fait-elle face ? Éclairage.
Paris | IP, TECH & DATA
Best Lawyers in France : Rankings 2023
The firm is pleased to have 20 of its lawyers ranked, including 1 new entry in the following categories : Jean-François Adelle Banking and Finance Law Bertrand Biette Insolvency and Reorganization Law Jacques-Henry de Bourmont Tax Law Thierry Brun Corporate Law Mergers and Acquisitions Law Yvon Dréano Corporate Law Mergers and Acquisitions Law Karl Hepp […]
Paris | BANK-FINANCE-REGULATORY | LITIGATION – ARBITRATION – MEDIATION – CRIMINAL LAW | COMPETITION AND ECONOMIC LAW | CORPORATE – M&A – PRIVATE EQUITY | ENERGY AND NATURAL RESOURCES LAW | TAX | REAL ESTATE | MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS | CAPITAL MARKETS AND STOCK EXCHANGE LAW | IP, TECH & DATA | PUBLIC LAW – PUBLIC CONTRACTS | RESTRUCTURING – LAW OF COMPANIES IN DIFFICULTY
Jeantet advises Agrofert on the acquisition of Borealis’ nitrogen production business.
Paris, June 7, 2022 – Jeantet and the Austrian law firm Wolf Theiss have advised the Agrofert group, a European leader in the production of nitrogen fertilizers, on the acquisition of Borealis’ nitrogen production business, which includes fertilizers, melamine and technical nitrogen. The offer values Borealis’ “nitrogen” business on an enterprise value basis of EUR […]
Paris, Franco-German team | CORPORATE – M&A – PRIVATE EQUITY | EMPLOYMENT | BANK-FINANCE-REGULATORY | IP, TECH & DATA | REAL ESTATE | COMPETITION AND ECONOMIC LAW | PUBLIC LAW – PUBLIC CONTRACTS
Jeantet advises The Surgical Compagny Group (TSC GROUP) in connection with the sale of its distribution business in France and Benelux to Duomed Group
Paris, June 2, 2022 – Jeantet advised TSC Group, a leading manufacturer and distributor of specialized medical equipment and devices, in connection with the sale of its distribution business in France and Benelux to Duomed Group, a pan-European distributor of medical supplies. The TSC Group, which also includes the Medtech OEM business (via TSC PTM […]
Paris, Franco-German team | CORPORATE – M&A – PRIVATE EQUITY | TAX | EMPLOYMENT | BANK-FINANCE-REGULATORY | IP, TECH & DATA | REAL ESTATE | COMPETITION AND ECONOMIC LAW | PUBLIC LAW – PUBLIC CONTRACTS
Jeantet advises Basler on the contemplated acquisition of i2s’ distribution business
Paris, 9 May 2022 – Jeantet has advised Basler AG, a company listed on the German stock exchange in Frankfurt am Main (Prime Standard), engaged in the design and manufacturing of high-quality, industrial cameras and embedded vision solutions, with respect to the contemplated acquisition of the distribution business of i2S SA, a company listed on […]
Paris, Franco-German team | CORPORATE – M&A – PRIVATE EQUITY | TAX | EMPLOYMENT | IP, TECH & DATA
Jeantet advises Getinge on the contemplated acquisition of Fluoptics, a leader in fluorescence imaging as an aid to surgery
Paris, 3 May 2022 – Jeantet has advised the Swedish listed global medical technology company Getinge AB (publ), with respect to the contemplated acquisition via its French subsidiary Getinge Infection Control SAS of 100% of the shares and voting rights of Fluoptics SAS a leader in fluorescence imaging as an aid to surgery. The transaction […]
Paris | CORPORATE – M&A – PRIVATE EQUITY | IP, TECH & DATA | FINANCING | REAL ESTATE
Lex Inside: The future European patent system, commercial mediation and Ukraine and the risks of cyber attacks – Le Monde du droit, 03/15/2022
Frédéric Sardain, partner in the IP, Tech & Data practice, spoke about the risks of cyber attacks linked to Ukraine on the Lex Inside programme hosted by Arnaud Dumourier on 15 March 2022.
Paris | IP, TECH & DATA | DIGITAL TRANSFORMATION
Related rights, Google and the French daily press come to an agreement – La Croix, 03/03/2022
The Alliance pour la presse d’information générale (Apig) and Google sealed an agreement on Thursday, March 3, on related rights, allowing daily press titles to receive remuneration when their content is reused by the Internet giant. This signature marks the end of more than two years of twists and turns. […]
Paris | DATA COMPLIANCE & CYBERSECURITY
Jeantet advises Housinganywhere in its acquisition of a majority stake in Studapart
Paris, February 17, 2022, Jeantet advised HousingAnywhere, the leading dutch accommodation marketplace on its acquisition of a majority stake in Studapart, the number one student rental accommodation platform in France. With this acquisition and after acquiring market leaders in Germany, Italy, Iceland and the Netherlands, HousingAnywhere consolidates its leading position in Europe by size and […]
Paris | CORPORATE – M&A – PRIVATE EQUITY | BANK-FINANCE-REGULATORY | REAL ESTATE | IP, TECH & DATA
Jeantet advised RHEA Group for the setting-up of a joint-venture, RHEA Cybersécurité France SAS
Paris, February 11, 2022 – Jeantet advised RHEA Group for the setting-up of a joint-venture, RHEA Cybersécurité France SAS, with Holding Amarante, the main shareholder of Amarante International. RHEA Cybersécurité France SAS gives both groups the opportunity to offer a unique physical and cybersecurity solution and a portfolio of services that can be tailored to […]
Paris | CORPORATE – M&A – PRIVATE EQUITY | IP, TECH & DATA
Haine en ligne : vers la fin du Far-West numérique – Le Point, 01/26/2022
Quote from Frédéric Sardain in this article by Laurence Neuer on the proposed Digital Services Act (DSA) which aims to combat hate speech on the Internet.
Paris | EUROPEAN LAW | IP, TECH & DATA